Petitioning for a Spouse of a US Citizen

One of the most exciting times in your life can be getting married. When deciding to marry, you will naturally need to consider, where you are going to get married. Will you marry here in the US, your spouse’s home country, or another third country?

There are many choices to make and when your fiancee is from a different country, it is important to get some information from your attorney before finalizing all your plans.

If you want to get married to your spouse in the US, you should consider looking at the fiancee visa, which is available to fiancees of US Citizens.

If you plan on getting married overseas, you should consider if your spouse will want to immigrate to the United States as soon as possible, or if they have work or school commitments in their home country to complete first. This can modify what route you embark on when you begin filing petitions. If you spouse has work or school obligations, you may not want to petition for them right away. There are some aspects of petitioning a spouse that can limit travel options and employment options in the US for a period of time, so this should be a consideration as well.

If your spouse has ever had any immigration or criminal violations in the US or anywhere else in the world, this will be a topic for consideration and you will need an attorney’s advice to make sure that immigration is even possible (before you have invested thousands of dollars in the process).

Powered by BetterDocs